Undercoating?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by OSC_Don, Jan 17, 2017.

1. OSC_Don

OSC_Don Full Access Member

So I'm planning on picking up my truck on 01/21. Gonna be moving to a colder climate soon. For you folks that deal with a lot of snow, do you recommend getting the undercoating? Thanks in advance.

2. PackNIron

PackNIron Active Member

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I wasn't sure what to do either, I have 140,000 Km on my 2013 Tahoe and didn't have it protected. I was able to work the dealer on their package that does the paint, undercarriage, rust inhibitor and interior protection so I went for it.

OSC_Don likes this.
  3. OSC_Don

I know the body won't rust, but it's the frame I'm wondering about. Curious if anyone living with salt on the roads every winter sees if it does/doesn't take it's toll and sees a benefit of the protection or thinks it's a waste of money.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. redtail17

redtail17 Full Access Member

Hey OSC Don - I've always had my vehicles undercoated for salted roads in PA. I've never kept a vehicle past 90,000 miles and never had problems with rust through from underneath. I'm trying to decide just like you. I'm kind of leaning towards spraying Fluid Film each year prior to winter. I heard other members talking about it earlier in thread. Right now I can't find someone with a lift that is willing to spray for me. Supposedly you can spray it everywhere (not petroleum based ?) except on brake parts. I don't think you would want it on exhaust either. I understand that even though it collects dirt, it still protects. It must be reapplied each year.

Follow up - be sure it is absolutely clean and dry before undercoating is applied. The material will trap any moisture and lead to rust.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    dirtrider and OSC_Don like this.
  5. OSC_Don

As I'm doing the research, I think I'll hold off on the undercoating. The truck will come with a 5 year corrosion warranty. I'll consider it after that time runs out. Thanks for the responses.

6. dirtrider

dirtrider Full Access Member

I had a 95 Yukon frame rust out, but it was subject to chloride soaked muddy dirt roads so it got it year round.

7. VT Raptor

VT Raptor Full Access Member

well i dont imagine this will change anyones mind but i've down the rabbit hole looking into undercoating.

msg from my salesman at Ford dealer - "We do not do undercoating. Most customers do not go for it. The newer rigs from the factory are double e-coat dipped and are pretty good just as they are. Also dont forget about the 5yr corrosion warranty that come with the Raptor."

this is just the beginning - much more to come.

redtail17 likes this.
  8. Lvmud

Lvmud New Member

https://www.nanotechcoatings.com

If my order ever comes up, I had plans to do this myself.. not just for protection but cleanliness as well.. I will use my truck like it should be use.. which would mean, more then likely getting muddy.. I'll put anything on it that will help with cleaning it after. After a frame gets muddy it never looks the same so..

I currently have an 08 f250 6.4 and about 2 years ago I repainted the axles. if I had this coating back in the day I'm sure I would not had to repaint them.

All the raw aluminum parts like the lower a arm, brake caliper, the shocks... rims with spray clean... everything will look better years after with a lot of use!

I guess I hope this product will do that

9. Miko

Miko Member

That is pretty neat. I might get me one.... I wonder if this was the same thing that BMW dealer offered me in 2005. If I remember correctly, it was like a molecular bonding agent that was applied to the body paint so even
    spray paint will not stick.