The paddle shifters are almost useless

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by Guy, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Guy

Guy Full Access Member

so...

As I drive the truck more... I play with more things and learn more about it.

In manual mode the panel shifters respond so poorly that they aren't even usable if you want to try to use them to accelerate hard down a road.

What do I mean? You hit the paddle and there is a full 1 second delay before the truck responds and shifts. You have to try to time your paddle shifts at 4000 RPM so it shifts by 6500. It's THAT slow. This issue is not there when it's in automatic sport mode.

The only use I can see for the paddles is if you want to keep it in a low gear and crawl with it.

I believe this is another hiccup with the software and transmission.

To answer you question I have had other paddle shifting suvs and trucks that shirt instantly. So no it's not supposed to work that way.

Sorry to be the Downer but I call it like I see it.

2. Guy

Guy Full Access Member

Also,

Let me say that in no way do I mean to put down anyone or be negative about their truck. I have the same one.

I'm also brutally honest, however, and as much as I enjoy the big beast, it's not all rainbows and gumdrops.

I plan to report all of this to Ford Performance as well.

3. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

Probably would be best to sell your truck! Someone on here made you a great 40k offer to buy it. The BMW/grand Cherokee forum is on your right.

INTEL DRIVEN and Vikes91 like this.
  4. Guy

Guy Full Access Member

I paid 76,000 cash for it. There was a 5k markup. 40 is a little low.

I still like the truck. Can I afford the Shelby? Yes. Did I wish I ordered one? No. The next Shelby I order will be a GT500.

Tough crowd!

5. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

I second this. Pretty sure more of Guy's posts are negative on this truck than positive. I even remember negative posts from you before you supposedly got your truck.

INTEL DRIVEN and Gdog like this.
  6. Kris Dawson

Kris Dawson Full Access Member

Third, Guy your bringing me down man. I haven't even got mine yet, and I had a down payment in july/16. Im sorry but I just can't take any of your shit talking at the moment when I'm trying to just get my fucking hands on mine.

Vikes91 and Gdog like this.
  7. shelteredraptor

shelteredraptor Full Access Member

you're like the neighbor from hell that would call the cops on me for washing my car early Sunday morning and making too much noise instead of coming over and talking to me in person...

Gdog, Vikes91 and Kris Dawson like this.
  8. wparish81

wparish81 Full Access Member

Hey fellas... I think Guys post may be a little misunderstood. Yes, off the cuff and at first glance, he comes across as a regular "Negative Nancy" of sorts. However, I honestly think that his heart is in the right place and he absolutely means well. Could the way he comes across stand to be less brash and critical. Yes, I believe it could but couldn't we as a collective group of Owners/Potential Owners stand to look at what he is trying to say from a different angle. Lets focus on the intent of the information. He is merely trying to make objective observations and comparisons against other vehicles. I seriously doubt that his intent to point out every flaw and rub it in our faces. Any consumer report show/Magazine(Top Gear, Car and Driver, etc..) with this vehicle would be talking about the same things. I by no means take his saying the paddle shifters are laggy as a personal attack on the vehicle or as a future owner. Its good information..

For those in the same boat as myself and are patiently(using that word very loosely) waiting. I have a motto, that to some may seem pessimistic, but is useful to those of us who tend to have high exceptions.

"Expect nothing...And you'll never be disappointed..."

Will

MrMaGnEtIc likes this.
  9. Guy

Guy Full Access Member

Will,

I absolutely meant no harm and no offense to anyone. I was trying to disseminate objective information.
    If I've struck a nerve with some other owners, I apologize, but I'm guessing it may have because you know what I'm saying is true.

I just ask you to be honest. Do you really believe that the 10 speed transmission works as well as it could?
    Do you really believe the lag in the paddle shifters is what you would expect? Do you really think that the dash full of cheap plastic is acceptable for a 70,000 dollar truck? Do you really think the Sony stereo in the 802a is "premium sound"?

I can only tell you what I believe to be true compared to other vehicles in the same price range and/or in a similar class. You can decide if I'm full of nonsense or if I have an element of common sense.

I have also stressed I enjoy the truck and am glad I bought it, but I will back off on being negative moving forward because I don't want to upset or inflame anyone.

Be well

MrMaGnEtIc and INTEL DRIVEN like this.
  10. Vikes91

What is in the Raptors class? Yes, you can buy other vehicles, even pickups, for the same money. But to say they are in the Raptors class is ridiculous. Some will be more luxurious, more off road worthy, sportier, etc. But what mixes all of this from the factory?

11. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

It's a automatic trans with flappy paddles for shifting. It's not a dual clutch trans. I do expect fast shifts as that's what Ford touted. In the end though, it's still a automatic looking sportier. Learn to use the tool.

upload_2017-1-31_13-30-55.jpeg

INTEL DRIVEN and Kris Dawson like this.
  12. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

now that's some funny shit there Rapere:p!! Learn to use the tool indeed.. Ok lets put a stake in the heart of this little debate shall we? First off Guy what type of reaction did you expect when you came on a dedicated raptor forum and began being negative about a truck that people here are passionate about? That being said any constructive observations are always welcome here! I think for the group as a whole we don't like to hear constant berating of a truck we actually enjoy and believe to be the most badass truck out there. So quick work of advise to Guy, sprinkle love in with your abrasive observations and lets even things out a bit. Or face what you've heard here from other members. Its all about choices.

13. wparish81

wparish81 Full Access Member

This is a place for end users to come together to share ideas, thoughts, ask questions and disseminate information. Be it good, bad or indifferent without fear of being chastised because it's not exactly in line with another's oppinon or point of view.

The 10 speed transmission in this vehicle as we all know, some more than others(initial build folks...). Has been the focal point of much of the heart burn since first coming off of the line.. As I haven't had the distinct pleasure of evaluating it performance first hand. I have however, paid a great deal of attention to the mounds of feedback reported here respectively. The general consensus is that it has definitive shortcomings. Particularly in the normal mode while at lower speeds in and around town. The priority of the xmsn, as it seems, is to get to 10th gear asap. Speculation being that this is a result of Ford trying to increase the mpg. With regards to the paddle shifters. I know on my Grand Cherokee overland with the 5.7 HEMI. They respond differently pending the mode I'm in. Albeit there are only two modes(D and Sport). There is a definite reaction time increase, being nearly simultaneous, while in the sport mode. Being that the Raptor has eight modes. The question I pose to those of you with vehicles and comfortably outside the break in period. Is there a difference in reaction time between the various modes(normal to Sport, Sport to BAJA)? All that being said, keep in mind this is the first production year of the Gen 2 and with it will bring growing pains. As we have all seen already with poor Intels truck not even being assembled properly.. Ford is evidently aware of this new xmsns short falls because they have already made one attempt to correct it while holding the trucks hostage in a shipping yard for weeks on end. I'm confident, as are many others here, that over the course of the year. Ford Performance will use the feedback that it receives to tighten up the software.

The interior.... As the owner of an X-5, I would be careful not to fall into the trap comparing the two. I also understand your basing the argument on what should be expected from a 70k vehicle in regards to interior quality. I'll ask you to consider this. Let's match the interior to the expected environment. With the BMW, I picture suit and tie, evening gowns and a night on the town. In short, elegance.. So my natural expectation is soft, plush with details of wood and leather. Let's go extreme opposite now with the Raptor. An all terrain, desert running jackal designed to rain down death, destruction and pestilence to all that may stand in its path. My natural expectation for this isn't soft and plush. It's the rubber mats and shit that can be sprayed off or easily wiped off with a wet rag. In short, Manly. Let's look at Jeep for Christ sake.. They fully expected it to be submerged(which I did on more than one occasion) or rained in! So they designed the carpet to be easily removed in order to access the drain plugs(which proved to be useful on more than one occasion). The more I think about it, the more I agree with the philosophy of many here. I fully intend on putting this 70k hell raiser to work and unleashing its full potential!

I don't think your being nonsensical at all. In fact there is a lot of truth in the point you're trying to drive across. I think fundamentally it's a difference in points of view and opinions.(which we all know to be very similar to assholes) I'm looking forward to reading and seeing more here from all that are willing to share their thoughts and ideas as their vehicles arrive and I continue my wait for mine!

Will

Diggs, INTEL DRIVEN and Vikes91 like this.
  14. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

Thank you Will. Well done kind sir..

15. Vikes91

I agree well done. My problem is when you post nothing but negative. Same could be said for nothing but positive comments.