Road Trip Ideas

Discussion in 'Prospective Owners' started by cmac, Mar 4, 2017.

1. cmac

cmac Active Member

Hey guys - I'm finally going to pick up my truck in about a week and a half. STOKED. I'll be driving it back from Denver area to Portland OR.

Want to play as much as possible along the way but I only have about 4 days so I won't be able to blaze a new Oregon trail this time. I'd like to hit as many spots not too far off the beaten path as I can but don't know much, just starting to research. It appears that the Trans-Am trail parallels I-70 through CO and UT and looks to be the kind of high speed desert driving I am most interested in.

Moab is obviously right there but I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do much crawling yet so I might not stop.

Interested in thoughts on that and whether anyone local to spots along the way or experienced on the route can offer tips.

My buddy from Seattle is rolling with me so a more northern route could work if that would put us on the path of a can't-miss spot. I could just drop him in Seattle and cruise down home.

Any ideas are appreciated!

2. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Congrats, your finally getting your truck!!!! Glad it has finally worked out for you man.

There's all kinds of trails around the rocky mtn area. Vikes is up near Ft Collins i recall and i know someone on here was from the Evergreen area. Both should be able to give you some ideas. As well just google that area.

Depending on which way your heading back, Moab is the offroad playground. Hit the road early and you can be there by lunch time!!!!!

Jeff & Robert need about an hr and then you should be out the door........

cmac likes this.
  3. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

I am in Cheyenne but can't really give you a good place to play. They are here, but I just drive and stumble into then. And with it being winter you can get yourself in trouble fast.

Congrats on the truck.

cmac likes this.
  4. Rapere1

Yes, as Vikes says, be wise to the snow. You have a new $70k truck, check the ego early and don't do stupid stuff (DDSS). It's real easy to want to test the trucks limits but be wise grasshopper, that first scratch is always painful and being stuck somewhere on your own is a real bad thing especially since your not from the area. I myself had to do this too while down in Santa Fe on my way back from Denver. I really wanted to go play and having a blast. Then reality set in, if i get stuck in the middle of no where, i don't have rescue coming quickly.

Ok, moving past todays Sunday sermon, if you google rocky mountain off road trails there's plenty online. Here's one site: http://www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/atvallenspark.html

The more i thought about it last night here, running out to Moab would be a fun first test of your new truck. From there it's pretty much a straight drive north through the Tetons and Yellowstone to Bozeman MT. There'd be plenty to see, do and i'm sure you could find some of roading along the way......

5. Rapere1

Oh, and i think it might be GDOG who's out in Evergreen CO. (maybe 40 mi SW from Sil Terhar) He may know that area of I70 west of Denver the best.....

6. cmac

cmac Active Member

Thanks guys. And thanks again Rapere1 for hooking up the dealer, I'd probably still be looking for a truck if you hadn't done that.

I started looking more closely at Moab after your first post yesterday. It occurred to me that we could hit the road out of Denver Thursday morning and just stay there to do the heavy-duty playing all the way through Saturday morning...Freeway it home from there to be back by Sunday. The weather is looking nice in Moab and plenty of other people out there if (when) we do something stupid. This is gonna be awesome, I'm pumped!

Vikes91 likes this.
  7. Rapere1

Glad it's all coming together for you!!!!

8. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

dude its snowmobile season in the high country!! Unless you have tracks stay on the pavement until you get to glenwood springs. Just my 2 cents.

Vikes91 likes this.
  9. Rapere1

But i saw it on the internet so it must be true:

10. Toadster

Toadster Full Access Member

check out https://roadtrippers.com/ - we're using this to find fun stuff when we drive the raptor from Colorado back to California :)