Rattling over small bumps and rough road

Discussion in 'Raptor Maintenance' started by cwh, Jul 5, 2019.

Car Parts
  1. cwh

cwh Member

Hey everyone. I had a rattling come from the front axle area anytime I hit potholes or rough roads. I’ve had 3 dealership check it and they cannot figure it out. It’s loudest and happens only 2wd, cannot replicate in 4wd. They checked the Awe, solenoid and check-valve and all is ok. Took apart the hub and bearings and gears are fine. They obviously checked suspension, skid plate etc, but the fact in only happens in 2wd, narrows it down to axle or drivetrain or parts related to it. Any ideas?

2. ELT

ELT Member

I have a similar problem but did not isolate it to 2 week drive. I took my 2017 to the dealer for shocks. It took them over 7 weeks to get new ones from FOX. I still have the rattle. Not sure what to do from here.

3. cwh

cwh Member

Yeah, only 2wd for me. Pretty sure it’s in the front axle somewhere.

4. two0seven

two0seven New Member

I've got the same thing going on. Hasn't really bothered me yet. I've got a full warranty so I figured if it was something bad something will break sooner or later. Hopefully before my warranty expires.

5. cwh

cwh Member

Shocked it doesn’t bother you (if it’s the same symptom). Mine is so loud, not normal for such a nice truck. They still can’t figure it out. Almost sounds like a marble rattling inside a pot.

6. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

Sounds similar to mine. Replaced tie rod ends and sway bar. Noise is gone and my steering feels better than I remember.

7. cwh

cwh Member

Is that everything they did? Did yours only make the noise in 2WD? Taking in next Monday so I would love to have something to tell them. Thank you.

8. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

Sorry, never checked in 4X. But it wouldn't make sense that those parts would affect only 2 wheel drive.

But the service advisor did say this is a common issue.

9. cwh

cwh Member

Great. This helps a lot. Appreciate the time and info!

10. VT Raptor

VT Raptor Full Access Member

I've got a 2017 - just started making this noise. To me it sounds like front driver side but I've not sat in the passenger seat recently. On the pavement its quiet as a mouse - start heading up my dirt road or hit some chopped up pavement and it sounds like something is broken BUT only around 20 to 30 mph? It seems to fade when I get to about 40 mph. I have not brought it in yet but I will soon. I'll keep everyone updated.

Adam likes this.
  11. cwh

cwh Member

Did you put it in 4wd and does it still do it?

12. VT Raptor

I put it in AWD and it still did it but I did not think to try it in 4wd - I will test this today or tomorrow and get back to everyone..

Adam likes this.
  13. Young Biff

Young Biff Member

Mine was doing exactly the same.
    Have fitted new tie bar ends from anti roll bar and the noise is completely gone.
    Steering tighter as well.
    Would suggest changing every 20,000 miles if on rough roads.

14. VT Raptor

Yes The noise is present in 2wd / Awd and 4wd. Appreciate the above comments - sounds like new tie bar ends is the answer.

15. cwh

cwh Member

Nope. It’s not tie rods or sway bar. Because mine ONLY happens in 2wd, it’s something else. 4wd, noise goes away. Dealer has had it for a week, put chassis ears underneath and they still can’t figure it out. They are the biggest raptor dealership in Colorado and one of the best service shops too. So frustrating. Only 18,000 miles on it. 1 week and no answers?