plug-in tuners

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by gunnersguru, Apr 14, 2017.

1. NHRaptor

NHRaptor Member

So I just installed the 91 octane street tune from 5 Star and from the seat of the pants feel there is a huge difference . I have a few mile straight by my house thats empty and open in the early morning and I hit 117 mph ( by the gauge ) without really trying . It wasn't even in Sport mode . Mike at 5 star said I should see gains of up to 75 horse and 100 torque but I can't confirm that until I get back on the dyno but the tune REALLY wakes up the motor and the shifts are more firm without being hard hitting . I look forward to trying the 91 octane performance tune !!!!! I only have a few miles on the truck with the new tune so once I have more feedback and /or dyno pulls I will report back .

2. Nexmeister

Nexmeister Full Access Member

any warranty concerns with this? If not I might just have to do it.

3. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

So I've asked that question before regarding warranty issues with aftermarket tunes. Crickets... I'm guessing anytime you mess with the factory ECM your at risk of warranty violation. So proceed at your own risk!!

4. VT Raptor

VT Raptor Full Access Member

the "law" is if you have a warranty issue the dealer has to fix it unless THEY CAN PROVE that the (after-market whatever, part, tune, flash) was directly responsible. The onus is on the dealer to prove why they dont have to fix it. You can be sure if you grenade the engine with a plug in tuner of a flash file the dealer is going to try and walk away.

5. shelteredraptor

shelteredraptor Full Access Member

Some dealers are more mod friendly than others. It also depends on what actual relationship you have with your service writer and or tech. If something catastrophic happens, it most likely will have to go back to corporate, and then you're at their mercy. I have been voiding warranties and fighting the corporate machine for a long time. I've won some and lost some, but one thing I will not do is attempt to defraud anyone. You start fucking with a brand new expensive vehicle and you are officially in big boy territory, suck it up or stay the on the porch.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    INTEL DRIVEN likes this.
  6. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

I would not bet on Ford covering your engine if it blows. I've talked to people with Mustangs that have tuned them and gone bad. The dealer doesn't have much say on whether they cover it. And trust me, Ford will spend money to fight you.

And 5 star usually sells a warranty for a modest price in case Ford fights you.

Nexmeister likes this.
  7. rock342

rock342 New Member

Too good to be true perhaps?

8. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

I'd like to see the numbers at my elevation. 8000 ft ..I'm sure the numbers being posted are at sea level with perfect air conditions...