My Keys Fell Apart in less than 24 months and Ford wants $900 to replace!

Discussion in 'Raptor Maintenance' started by John H, Jul 22, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. John H

John H New Member

My fobs both fell apart from regular use (I only have 23,000 miles on my Raptor), but the keys are cheap plastic and the batteries required constant replacing. Once replaced, the plastic became weaker and the keys would fall apart in my pocket, or in my gym bag, to the extent that now both are just taped up with electrical tape and won't attach to my key chain. I mentioned this at the dealer when getting the last recall addressed, and they said they would "see what they can do." See what they can do translates to charge me $450 per key to replace. These keys aren't worth $10. Are there any after market solutions or better keys out there? I think I am going to sell the truck as a $70k truck should have better keys to start with and certainly better support from the manufacturer. I have had "smart" keys from other brands, even older Fords, but never seen one suck this bad and be told essentially to F off by the dealer .

2. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

You're funny. Had mine since Dec 2016, 43,000 miles and no issues with my keys. No battery replacement or anything else.

3. mcgleevn

mcgleevn Member

Same deal - no issues with fobs after 2+ years and 50k miles... Same battery, never taken apart

Now I will say the panic button location/operation sucks, and that maybe the fobs are a little on the large side...

4. RAPTORX1

RAPTORX1 New Member

Wow, had mine for quite awhile now, no problems to report here. I will tell u that to replace my fob if needed by my dealer is only $225.00 then they will give me 10% off from that. It sounds like your dealer is trying to rip you off my very high mark up....

5. Dnsgotitbad

Dnsgotitbad Member

I have seen them on Ebay for $100

6. Shark

Shark Active Member

I noticed just this morning that my key fob is coming apart. The part at the top where you can attach additional keys is pulling away from the fob and is currently barely hanging on at one side now. I have around 50K on my 2017 so it lasted about 4 years, but I have never had a key fob from any other vehicle I have ever owned come apart like this. I only keep 2 additional keys on it so it's not like there is a pound of additional weight on it and I always keep it in my pocket.

I opened it up and noticed that there is sort of a plastic "loop" on each side where the ring part slips in and one of the loops is broken on top. I slid it back in the best I could and it seems to be gripping a bit better now. It's probably just a matter of time before it starts to come apart again though.