How much can I do without voiding my warranty?

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by JerkyChew, May 7, 2018.

1. JerkyChew

JerkyChew New Member

So I know that this is kind of a loaded question because the warranty can be at the discretion of the dealer, but bear with me... I just bought a 2017 Raptor with the CPO extended warranty which extends the drivetrain to 10y/100k miles. I'd like to get more power from the thing but I'm a little nervous about having an issue on my $50k truck where the dealer tells me to go screw.

So, my question to y'all is: What can I do to my Raptor that will boost power but not void the warranty? I've heard rumors that Roush parts & accessories won't void the warranty if installed by a licensed dealer (which my local dealer is) - I'm sure there's a markup on that stuff so I'm just trying to figure out my options first, and go from there.

I'd love to throw a good intake and a tune on it and call it a day, but I figure that most dealerships will throw a big NOPE at me if they see stuff like that done to the motor. Any recommendations / links / anecdotes are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

I
    In a nut shell if your modification led to the failure of the Ford hardware or Software then the dealer will scream not covered.

I've picked up the phone a few times to call Ford Performance to get advice before doing stuff so that's a safe place to start. Also I've got the same extended warranty and i was one of the lucky few to get my truck very early have they hit the market. Build date 12/24 out of the 2nd production run. Making modification on a $70k truck that's brand new on the market, ya i was a bit more then nervous!

Moving on to now: I'm at about 570hp/620trq, all warranty friendly for the most part and don't plan on doing much more until i'm at a point where the warranty doesn't matter any longer.
    The list of mod's;
    New Roush Cold Air Intake. You'r not going to get much gain in the Cold Air Intake set up on the GEN2 until someone fixes the basic design problem (there's a whole thread here on that.
    Reprogram or not to reprogram? I chose not to deal with the headache in case something went bad and the truck had to make a visit to the dealer. I chose a plug and play instead. Check out the JMS BoostMax and stack it with the Peddle Max. The BoostMax will give you more boost and more power for sure and you'll notice it. However it's really the PeddleMax that makes the truck a whole new beast. I almost want to tell people to skip the BoostMax. The Peddle Max work with the transmission and your accelerator sensor. Add the switch and you can dial in the feel you want and eliminate the lag that the stock truck has.
    I did the SPD turbo adapters. You won't see or feel much gain here but it does give it a little more throat sound. This does set up the truck for more boast options down the line.
    I also did the Full Race v2 Intercooler. There's threads here on both. I did it to free up the opening where the stock inter-cooler gets it's air for other things and i wanted a bigger inter-cooler as living in TX it's 100 a good part of the year. Surprisingly the Turbo adapters and inter-cooler did give the truck a feeling like it made that next step up and in all honesty i shouldn't have noticed much.

My regular dealer knows most of this is there and doesn't care. Twice i've had it in for an engine light and both times they reset the light and told me what he code was and that it was on my modification side that caused it. First i left out the inline air baffle when i installed the cold air intake, put it back in and no problems. Second was my own install error if you will and i'm going to leave it at that.

If you want to know more or want to get walked through some of the setup stuff just reach out directly and i'll give you a hand.......

3. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

Sounds like 15k to me

4. JerkyChew

JerkyChew New Member

Awesome amount of detail, thanks! So you're still running a stock tune? Did you dyno it or are those numbers estimates?

5. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Haven't been on a dyno yet. Purely estimates of adding everything up together.

No tune needed!

6. xBryanHoodsx

xBryanHoodsx Active Member

Your powers levels are way optimistic if using the boostmax .... is like to see a dyno sheet if you think your that close ....

7. barrett2018

barrett2018 New Member

Hey bud, I hit u up on the Tacoma World Forum and figured Id find you here. Was wondering if youd have a few minutes to chat about the Tacoma you traded in. Just general vehicle history and what you thought of it. Gray was a good choice btw.