FORD RACING OIL FILTER

Discussion in 'Raptor Maintenance' started by OBXRAPTOR, Jan 5, 2017.

Car Parts
  1. OBXRAPTOR

OBXRAPTOR Member

On my 2010 Raptor 6.2 L I always used synthetic oil and FORD RACING oil filter CM-6731-FL820.

The difference between standard FORD and FORD racing oil filters is night and day. Lead master mechanic at my dealership uses them on his Raptor and his GT350. Holding the standard in one hand and the racing in the other makes the standard feel like a joke.

Does anyone know if FORD RACING is making a filter for the 2017 Raptor engine?

****UPDATE: Spoke to rep on phone with FORD RACING, 2017 RAPTOR will use same FORD RACING FILTER CM-6731-FL820. *****

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Diggs likes this.
  2. JD06

JD06 Full Access Member

Cool great information to pass along. Did you do you own oil changes? And if you did, Where do you buy the filters? What full synthetic oil did you use, I was thinking Mobil 1 full synthetic.

3. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

4. OBXRAPTOR

OBXRAPTOR Member

5. sapper_out

sapper_out Full Access Member

Silly question, does dealership maintenance offer Mobil one and the like or just ford OEM brand oil at dealer maintenance

6. OBXRAPTOR

OBXRAPTOR Member

Motorcraft Synthetic Oil is very good oil and is produced by Conocco/Philips. If you change every 5000 to 7500 miles, almost all synthetics are equal. I used Mobil 1 on last truck but wouldn't hesitate using Motorcraft one bit. Standard non-synthetic oil of good quality is probably equal to good synthetic for 3000 miles then it degrades fairly rapidly (viscosity goes bad in both cold and hot range). Synthetic oil maintains specs for up to 10,000 miles. I change mine at 5000 to 6000 for peace of mind.

The FORD RACING filter filters up to 50% more particulates. I think the difference between standard and the FORD RACING filters is much much much greater than the difference between different synthetic oil brands.

Miles66 and VT Raptor like this.
  7. sapper_out

sapper_out Full Access Member

10-4
    Thank you

8. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

And I'm pretty positive Fords standard oil is a synthetic blend. I just take my vehicle to Ford every 5k miles and do the works. Figure that has to be good since they say you can go 10k or more. I may look into the race filter.

9. OBXRAPTOR

OBXRAPTOR Member

I would upgrade to "full synthetic" if I were changing oil at intervals greater than 5000 miles.

here is a great explanation, worth the time to listen to it once:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Rapere1 likes this.
  10. Vikes91

Hmm, I've always heard that if you change every 5k miles your wasting your money on synthetic. And at that interval I'm already changing it more often than Ford says. But that video makes me wonder.

Than again, it's sponsored by an oil company so you never know how they are spinning it for the more expensive oil.

And I also pay extra for my gas to get a premium gas, so why wouldn't I go that extra mile for the oil. Damn you OBX!

INTEL DRIVEN likes this.
  11. OBXRAPTOR

OBXRAPTOR Member

Sponsored by oil company but is the prevailing dogma taught in tech schools. it's all about risk tolerance and comfort level. i personally wouldn't go over 7500 on synthetic or 4000 on standard. Just numbers I pulled out of my dumb arse.

12. Vikes91

Then I should be good with your numbers. Synthetic blend had to be good for 5k. Lol.

13. OBXRAPTOR

OBXRAPTOR Member

Blends are tricky animals. One foot on the dock one foot on the boat- too complicated for my simple mind. I'm into overkill :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    shelteredraptor likes this.
  14. Rapere1

But it does bring two questions to mind:
    1, does the dealership give you the option of the performance filter if you're taking your truck in there.
    2, i'm interested in knowing what the offered maintenance plan offers? Some things are at specific mileage intervals and things like oil changes are a matter of how you drive and what type of driving you're doing. Yes the new truck has an oil wear minder but does that mean you can get service until it says so? (i've never taken out one of these packages but really considering it on this new of a truck as i want it to last)

15. Rapere1

So according this video, synthetic doesn't really mean longer time between oil changes just better performance of the oil over the life between equal oil change time frames. So yes, i get how people think then they can go longer until they hit the same breakdown point.

All that being said, it's a choice of maintaining a quality level of your oil running through your engine or cost savings by running the oil longer but hitting a breakdown in quality as a result.