F350 Guy Tinking About New Raptor

Discussion in 'Prospective Owners' started by Bigfoot21075, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Bigfoot21075

Bigfoot21075 Member

Hi Everyone!

I have a 2012 F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 that I have owned since new, it has 51 k miles on it and has never been used as a work truck (I am a big guy and like big things). It is a 6.2l gas motor and runs beautifully!

I am getting a little tired of the ride and have been thinking of trading it in on a new Raptor. I realize this is subjective, but has anyone gone from a Super Duty to a Raptor? How is the ride in the Raptor? For perspective, I also have a 2017 Rubicon and LOVE the way it rides (WAYYYYY better than the Chuck Wagon ride of my F350)

I love the look and the power of the new Raptor and would use it for my short commute and general running around.

loboloco likes this.
  2. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Hey Bigfoot,

Ya, subjective at best.

You need to find one on a lot and drive it for yourself.

Yes, i've had a SD in the past. I can talk at length about the ride difference but i'm going to make it short and sweet.

The SD is designed to carry/pull weight. As a result it's got a very stiff ride. Raptor is designed for high speed, off road with a long travel suspension.

The best way for me to describe the ride is this. It's got a luxury/sports mined ride on the road meaning its firm enough to perform but soft enough to soak up the road and you'll never feel it in the leather seats. Point it off road, the faster you go the more the shocks work and give a smoother comfortable ride.

All that said, i keep coming back and say to car/truck guys this really is the ultimate GT. It's a luxury car nice in the cabin, smooth as silk on the road ways, sports car handling in the curves (considering the mass it is) and there's not many places you can't go with it off road.

All that said, go drive one or find someone here on the forum that's local and ask them for a ride.

3. shelteredraptor

shelteredraptor Full Access Member

stop tinking 'bout it and just do it...

4. cyclers10

cyclers10 Full Access Member

Do it now

5. Zaid Dahabi

Zaid Dahabi Full Access Member

No Brainer! DO IT!

6. VT Raptor

VT Raptor Full Access Member

agree with Rapere1 - SD was designed to tow. Raptor was not (really). Raptor was designed to haul ass. I was very surprised. I can tell you after 10,000 miles and a bunch of road trips this is SO NICE to drive on the road you wont believe it. If you dont plan to tow anything big there is no need for a test drive!! Go get it....

7. bravo3eco

bravo3eco Full Access Member

What is your intended use for this next vehicle?

8. Armypilot

Armypilot New Member Military

I had a 2012 Raptor that I traded in on a 2015 King Ranch F350 DRW. Super Dutys are not known for their ride quality. The reason for the trade was that we planned on getting a 5th wheel and doing some traveling. Due to medical issues, the traveling plan got nixed. So a couple weeks ago, the F350 got traded in on a 2018 Raptor. The Raptor has a better ride, better fuel economy, better warranty, and more modern features.

9. Brapptor

Brapptor Full Access Member

I think the top reply said it best. The single most lovely thing is when you get it up past 30-40 in a sandy wash and hit rolling bumps. This is a former Jeep Wrangler owner (still miss mine a little) and stuff I would just clench my jaw for in the Jeep is a light breakfast for the rappy. The machine just feels built for it and it does it all smooth. It’s almost the same feeling as cruising in a v hull through big swells and thinking you are going to get jarred by a big wave coming but ...nope. It just asks for more out there in the desert. A real delight.

Adam likes this.
  10. loboloco

loboloco Member Military

I traded my 2015 F-350 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab w/8' Box for a 2017 Raptor. I never really used my Super Duty for what is was designed to do and just got tired of driving around in the "beast". I can say without reservation that getting a Raptor was the best decision I have ever made, with regard to vehicle purchases. The ride and comfort is phenomenal, both on and off-road. Moreover, unlike with any of my previous vehicles, the "newness" and fun of driving simply does not seem to wear off for me. I enjoy driving my new truck as much now, as I did the first day I got it.
    20170519_185413.jpg 20150428_121548 (1).jpg

11. Bigfoot21075

Bigfoot21075 Member

First off THANKS EVERYONE! Great advice! My intended use is my short commute, some light to moderate trail riding, and any trips the wife and I take as well as every rainy day where I can't drive the Rubicon top down.

Rapere1 and loboloco like this.
  12. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

If you get the sun roof option, you may never get back in your jeep again. It's that good!!!!!!!

13. Plasterman

Plasterman Full Access Member

I went from a superduty to an f-150 to now a raptor. Large, drives like a car vs the rubicon which I have as well but you need to keep because it’s just fun!!!!
    I dint townor Haul as much and it’s by far the best choice I’ve made in a while. I had my reservations at first but man I wouldn’t go back to either for the world. It’s just that awesome. I can say, you will be sitting up as high as a super duty pretty much. And yes, get the 802A package and you’ll be in heaven, the whole roof is a big sky light. Awesomeness. And you can jump the fucker too. That’s a hoot in it’s own. Good luck man, hope you go for it!!

14. fogcitysurfer

fogcitysurfer New Member

deleted

15. fogcitysurfer

fogcitysurfer New Member

What about changing your suspension? Icon with CDCV allows you to soften the ride or make it stiff for towing and hauling. You won't be flying over the bumps like the Raptor, but it will be better than the stock suspension and cheaper. But who am I to talk. I have an F250 and I still want the Raptor.