Air intake modification

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by Jnichols316, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Plasterman

Plasterman Full Access Member

How's the roush intake?

2. Plasterman

Plasterman Full Access Member

Anyone know if 18's are any different? Should fit i would think.

3. Squatch

Squatch Member

Hey y’all

Has anybody tried the Whipple product yet? I’m pretty certain that I’ve read all avail fr2 threads on air intake. I understand that Whipple requires recalibration of pcms with the entire stage 1 kit, however a bit of ambiguity remains on whether or not this is required with merely the air intake replacement. Thoughts? Also, anyone using turbo adapters? Thanks

4. Warhawk

Warhawk Member Military

I’ve. Even looking at the Whipple product myself and haven’t been able to find anything on it yet. My biggest concern is how this will effect my warranty. If just getting the intake won’t effect then that’s all might do. I would like to get the entire system and maybe do something to my exhaust system as well.

5. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Looking at the Whipple Cold Air Intake option, it looks like the same basic upgrade everyone else is offering.

In the end, as already noted here:
    None of the systems offer a replacement to the stock snorkel which is what's bringing the majority of "cold" air in.
    There's three types of set ups i'm seeing, open, closed or seals against the hood type of air box.
    The air silencers (restricters) are inline within the two feed tubes and shouldn't be removed unless you want to see codes (engine light) pop up (based on multiple factors of what the the sensors are monitoring). So you can't exceed those trigger points and a lot of that is based on the environment where you are located.

Warrenty, it's not an issue from Ford's stand point. Just as long as your not overriding the sensors and exceeding pressures.

Now, all that said. Pick one either based on the look you want or the claimed performance enhancement. 10-15 is about the average gain i've seen claimed.

I happened to go with the Roush but make no claim to one being better then another.

Until they make a hood replacement with a scope to draw in cold air directly and a tune to deal with added pressures, the options are limited and so are the benefits.

MtopRaptor likes this.
  6. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

Any difference btw Whipple and Afe ? I really want the Afe stage 2 Magnum as ford performance is using AFE and seems more comfy with their Brand of Cai. Any thoughts or comparisons ? Thanks

7. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Just jumped on their website. Looks like there's two options of either on open air box or an enclosed one. Yes, i see there's many options for the new raptor and i'm not 100% sure on which one your considering.

The one i did look at off the cuff was an enclosed box set up, offered 24hp gain if i read their map correctly. That's about on par from what i saw from multiple vendors. Similar design, open up the tubes a bit and change to a better breathing filter.

That said, multiple vendors all offering the same two designs getting the same results. Without having the selection in front of me or you for that matter, it's hard to speak across the line on quality. Quality of the material and finished product. So without that, all you can do is pick a system in which you like the look of the design or have an emotional pull to for whatever reason.

I'll snap a pic of my setup this weekend and get it posted here.

8. Miles66

Miles66 Member

I had an airaid on an older truck of mine and it was pure garbage. No air intake will give you 33 hp

9. Squatch

Squatch Member

Howdy Gents
    I installed the AFE Magnum Force stage 2 along with SPD Performance exhaust turbo adapters. Strongly recommend! Incredible difference!

Adam likes this.
  10. Daniel Fife

Daniel Fife Active Member

Have yall seen the AFE one coming out?

momentum-xp-blue.1500051644.png

Dwiyrick likes this.
  11. MtopRaptor

MtopRaptor Full Access Member

squatch
    Please tell me more about the adapters from SPD. Can you send pics, were they hard to install, etc..

12. Squatch

Squatch Member

Mtop,
    The SPD Performance adapters were acquired from SPDperformance.com

I didn’t take pictures of the adapters in the shipping container prior to install, and it would be next to impossible to get you an after install picture now!
    The two products that I purchased were the High Flow Turbo Exhaust Adapters ($119.95) and the ADPT 35 install kit ($95.00). They provide reasonably well detailed instructions on the website and make particular reference to utilizing a heavy duty stud extractor such as the Mac-tools SR 10 A socket, which will require less heat treatment for stud removal. You are virtually guaranteed to mangle at least one of the studs during removal, hence the install kit which contains the oem parts you will likely find desirable for install! There are at least a few YouTube videos with detailed step by step instructions for the Raptor. Hope that this was helpful. Regards

13. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

Sweet, can you post a pic when you have time, hard to install ? About to pull the trigger on the momentum stage 2. Warranty friendly ?

14. Squatch

Squatch Member

Hey Adam,
    I won’t be able to post any pics for a few days of the AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 installed on my truck. Really high quality kit. Straight forward instructions. No codes!
    The warranty considerations, concerns, and worries are discussed in numerous threads on this forum regarding various mods. Numerous opinions have been given with pros and cons! My $.02 is to enjoy your truck. Dial it in however you feel inclined. Retain all stock components that you remove from your vehicle. If the time comes that you have a warranty issue with your vehicle, treat the dealership folks with civility and reasonableness and everything will work out fine!

Adam likes this.
  15. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

Agreed. Thanks boss.