Supplementary injectors stuck open - 2nd time

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by GrayBeard, Jan 9, 2019.

1. GrayBeard

GrayBeard New Member

I have been searching Gen2 Raptor forums for any information on stuck injectors. Wondering if anyone else had the same issue. I just had the second failure of my 2017 Raptor supplementary fuel system at around 32k miles (injectors stuck ON). I haven't found any information on this topic for the Gen2's, so I am posting my story here. My experience with Ford as a brand will forever be tarnished. Their service really sucks.

I have now experienced a stuck injector TWICE on my 2017 Raptor. I am told that an injector failure is statistically a very rare thing. These two failures were approximately one year apart. The truck is completely stock with no modifications.

When it happened last year (around 3,500 miles on the clock), I was cruising down the highway around 75mph. Loss of substantial engine power, just like hitting an old GM speed limiter. Pulled off at the first exit and to the side of the road. The engine was running very rough, belching white smoke (fuel) out the exhaust and quit running. Engine light ON, Ford App going crazy. Fortunately, there was a ford dealer at this exit however the repair took around 2 weeks to complete. Not a fun experience.

This time was a bit more strange...
    I was driving down back roads, close to my home. A vehicle turned left around 200-300 yards ahead, resulting in the collision avoidance system going off. This was weird for two reasons; Although the collision warning system seems to be too sensitive, this vehicle was too far ahead to be a concern. Secondly, simultaneously with the visual alert, the engine coughed and stumbled. And boom - stuck injector again. WTF? Could the collision warning somehow affect electrical power distribution to the engine control system? The coincidence was odd.

I was right around the corner from home, so I was able to limp home even though I could visibly see white clouds of fuel coming from the back. The beast is currently stuck in my driveway requiring a tow in for service.

Ford does not cover a rental or provide a loaner while the Raptor is being serviced. Might take up to 48 hours to diagnose once they look at it. Then, I get to wait for parts. Three Ford dealers are booked for a few weeks before they are even willing to look at my truck. I have to pay to tow the vehicle in to any location I take it. Great. Expensive truck that they are telling me will be down for about a month... Ford won't tow it and won't provide any means of transportation. I am on my own to supply both and that really sticks in my craw and pisses me off. This truck is only a year and a half old. I don't understand Ford's motivation. Well, I understand not wanting to pay. But really? I have no words to express my anger with their stated practice. Does not seem right.

I am fed up with ford service and shoddy dealers. They really don't care, especially when the vehicle breaks down. The two closest dealers by me in Michigan aren't even willing to look at the truck for over a week. They simply don't know what service is and choose to waste my time and resources. I am looking at taking this to a Lincoln dealer (They change my oil and make my life far easier than the Ford dullards) since they have the same tool suite and tend to have more of an education.

Ford, why do you make an already painful situation more painful? A little help would have gone a long way. A lack of compassion and assistance on a vehicle this expensive will not go unnoticed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. GrayBeard

GrayBeard New Member

And off to sit at the dealership for a while.

IMG_6055.JPG

3. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

I am sorry to hear of your problems.

Pretty sure Ford's roadside is good for 3/36 which includes towing. And any Ford dealer I've gone to gives a loaner if the car is required over night. FYI, most auto makers have gone away from loaners. When I buy a new car I make sure it's in writing that the dealership will give me a loaner anytime I drop off my car. Have you talked to the dealer you bought it from? I would go raise hell with them for a loaner and better service when the vehicle you paid good money for breaks down. Waiting a week for service on a dead car is unacceptable.