Stock head Unit questions

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Electronics' started by Jma21583, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Jma21583

Jma21583 Full Access Member

Hey guys I've been looking all over the place for the specs on the base sync3 system in our raptors but cant find anything. Im looking to upgrade my door speakers to all kicker ks65's but there's no amp and I don't really want to install one if I can get away with it. Just looking for a little better sound from speakers I honestly forgot I had laying around. Any help is appreciated. This isn't the B&O upgraded system.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Hey,

First off before you do anything, shut the damn fake engine noise off. You really need to get to a clean starting point from a sound perspective.

I left the head unit in place and pretty much replaced everything else.

You should already have an amp in the truck, it's behind the drivers side back seat.

Go to this page for the upgrades i did: http://www.fordraptor2.com/threads/radio-revisted.393/page-2

And of all of what i have listed, you may be looking for this little guy i bet: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13698...&awkw=+jl++fix++86&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9026830

Jma21583 likes this.
  3. Jma21583

Passenger side under the seat is the power inverter, but theres nothing behind the drivers side rear seats.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  4. Rapere1

Hmmm, I would expect to see either the Kicker Sub if you didn't elect for the 802a package or the silver Sony amp like i have posted. Which raises the question of where did they put the amp in your truck or did they change how they set up the audio system since my build back in Dec last year.

So, if there is truly no amp then your limited to the power output you have which determines how much you can push into your speakers. I venture to guess then your not going to exceed the performance of the speaker upgrade.

5. Rapere1

Hey, do you have a SCAB or a SCREW?

Wondering if this may play into it......

6. Jma21583

I'm thinking maybe the head unit just powers the speakers then. I think upgrading the speakers to a better quality product, material wise, would help, if nothing else. I just can't find any specs on the power the head unit pushes. Which then begs the question if there is no amp then how does one eliminate the fake exhaust sound?

7. Jma21583

Supercrew

8. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

I don't believe the basic stereo had an amp or sub. The kicker was an upgrade for the basic stereo, non Sony or B&O.

Jma21583 likes this.
  9. Jma21583

I guess I'm the only 2018 owner who didn't opt for any stereo upgrades lol

10. Rapere1

I could be wrong but i thought that if you didn't do the upgrade you got the Kicker sub. If you did the upgrade you got a better Sony system.

I took the the upgrade and hence no Kicker Sub. I do though have the standard amp and it's mounted to the wall in back.

I also have the SCAB. Not thinking that should make a big difference but the only thing i can find online is the amp either mounted on the wall or i saw one picture of the amp mounted under the center counsel.

Regardless, back to JMA21583 question. Amp or not, your not installing a different one. Your just doing a speaker replacement. You shouldn't need to do anything but swap out the speakers. the only problem i can think of is not having enough power but i doubt that being an issue.

I will go back to my very first point though. Have the fake engine noise shut off first before you make changes. Get yourself to a clean sound as a starting point first. What you don't realize is how much white noise is coming through your system even when the system is turned off but the truck is powered on.

Jma21583 likes this.
  11. Jma21583

Thanks for looking around, I'm already about 3 hours into looking for a wiring diagram for the sync3...no luck. I really don't want to tear apart the dash or center console looking for this thing to remove the pins to disable the fake engine noise. Anybody friends with any ford service techs?

12. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

Use FORSCAN to remove the fake engine noise.

Jma21583 likes this.
  13. Rapere1

Yes, either find a local Raptor friend who has the connector and software or for $80 just buy the damn thing and download free the software and we'll walk you through it.

Once into the software there's lots of stuff to turn on or off. Engine noise, auto fold mirrors, disable the auto start/stop and many other things.

Hmm, i swear I've said this already in this thread.

14. Jma21583

As much as i appreciate your opinion you're at this point just talking over my question with your preference. I don't want to disable to simulated sound. All I've asked for and am looking for are the specs on the head unit so I know how much power is coming from the head unit, going to the amplifier if it even has one, and going to the speaker.

15. Zaid Dahabi

Zaid Dahabi Full Access Member

Do as the man says, he only answered trying to help! no preference no nothing!
    Next time be more specific in what you ask for help!