Spd turbo adaptors

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by Brapptor, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Brapptor

Brapptor Full Access Member

Anyone have any experience with these? A Colorado installer recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Swe34nes

Swe34nes Member

Absolutely have them installed. I installed them after the main instructor at Ford Performance’s Raptor Assault program recommended them. The truck feels like it has more and you can defitnitley hear the difference. Deeper exhaust tones, especially higher in the power band and it sounds good to. You can just tell the exhaust is flowing better.

On the other forum someone has posted side by side pics of the OE adapter next to the SPD. You can see why one is engineered to perform better than the other.

3. Nexmeister

Nexmeister Full Access Member

What was the install like? Can do yourself? Or need to have a pro do it?

4. Brapptor

So my truck has 25k miles on it which I’ve heard will make install difficult because the mild corrosion. These are notoriously very difficult
    To install because per the f150 forums and my buddy who can make anything look easy which made me nervous.

5. Brapptor

Got a place in Colorado? I’m assuming if the raptor assault guy said it’s cool that it’s warranty friendly. But that could be a terrible assumption

6. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

I had them installed on my truck and glad i had someone else do it at a shop. Broke one of the studs which happens every so often. Better to have it up on a lift with everything needed to deal with it vs. laying on your back under the truck. However it does come down to $$$$ to have someone do the install. I was having other stuff done so this wan't the only thing going on while they had it (new inter-cooler too).

To me there was minimal difference but it's really needed if your going to get aggressive with other mods.

7. Swe34nes

Swe34nes Member

I had a performance shop install mine (Texas Motorworx, they specialize in Raptors and do amazing work if you’re ever in the DFW area). I too was having other work performed but the Adapters were $500 out the door installed. I too would recommend a professional install as it is a PIA job.

From a warranty perspective, I don’t see how any dealer could tell you have them installed unless they took off the downpipes or turbos to specially see if you have aftermarket installed. Plus they’d have to prove given failure was the result of the adapters.

Honestly, warranty never crossed my mind. I’d be more worried about a Cold Air Intake than I would the adapters.

Rapere1 likes this.
  8. Full-Race

Full-Race Member

install is not easy or inexpensive, considering the purpose and stated gains. I can not figure out how most people do this without pulling their hairs out. warranty is unlikely to be effected, only the best techs would know what to look for.

there are strong differences of opinion on the matter of their actual performance increases (not placebo butt dyno increases). As a turbo engineer, I can not see this component doing much of anything to gain power on an otherwise stock internal and stock turbo engine. although it may be a good idea to do if youre installing bigger turbos.

Rapere1 likes this.
  9. Toadster

Toadster Full Access Member