Pre-owned

Discussion in 'Prospective Owners' started by BabaYaga, Jan 31, 2018.

1. BabaYaga

BabaYaga Active Member

if you had to do it all over again. Hypothetically speaking, let’s say you can only afford a used Raptor. Would you pursue a pre-owner Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raptor? Do you guys know of known or speculated issues with the turbo charged 6 cylinder engine as far as long term reliability? And, are you guys scared of any corrosion issues w the alum body?

Or, would you rather have the Gen 1.

Thank you all for your time and input!

Chris...

2. Dwiyrick

Dwiyrick Active Member

The only possible argument for wanting a gen 1 is engine sound. The Gen 2 is superior in every way, torque, HP, 1-60, suspension, technology, fuel economy, and it just looks better.
    I liked my gen 1 and a few of my buddies have the Roush versions which are great, but my new one is just better. Changed a few items and could not be happier.
    If you have the budget go gen 2 - if not, the gen 1 is a great buy for the money.

Logan and BabaYaga like this.
  3. BabaYaga

BabaYaga Active Member

My feelings are very close to yours. I really appreciate the input. Also, between you and I, I don’t mind the race-y sound of the 6. Thanks again, I think I’m going to try my best to pull the trigger on a new, or possibly, used GEN 2 at the end of this year. The looks are way better as you mentioned. Enjoy your truck man! For now, I’m extremely jealous...

Logan and Adam like this.
  4. Ken

Ken Member

what Dwiyrick said... i too was shopping for the gen 1 and like the v8... but the new technology, new looks, hp, tq, etc. Everything on the gen2 is ahead of gen1... and gen 1 prices are still up there, gen 2 and you will not regret :)

Logan, BabaYaga and Adam like this.
  5. BabaYaga

BabaYaga Active Member

Thx man!

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You can always upgrade the exhaust to make it sound meaner.

7. shelteredraptor

shelteredraptor Full Access Member

Icky. The only way to make the exhaust sound better is adapters and downpipes through the factory exhaust. Show me a catback exhaust that improves the factory sound, I haven't seen one yet, they all sound ricer to me.

Logan likes this.
  8. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

I'm not throwing money at exhaust updates. Period

Logan likes this.
  9. shelteredraptor

shelteredraptor Full Access Member

Agreed. waste of money IMO. A friend did spd adapters and downpipes and realized about 25 HP, it made the truck sound pretty sweet actually, but it took the better part of the day to do it. I'm just doing the MPT tune, it's plenty fine.

Adam likes this.
  10. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

SPD adapters and downpipers are the only way I would possibly go. But lot of time and money for minimal gain and some sound.

bravo3eco likes this.
  11. Dwiyrick

Dwiyrick Active Member

Borla Atak did that

12. sphf250

sphf250 Member

I agree with what everyone is saying. This is my second eco-boost engine, first was a stock 3.5 in my wife's Flex. And now I have an '18 Raptor. The engine is great and the technology is insane, I'm coming from a 2005 F-250, its like coming out of the stone age. The ride on the Gen 2 is so soft, first truck I ever had that doesn't ride like a truck.
    It's not a V8, but its got more than enough power to get you in and out of trouble.

INTEL DRIVEN likes this.
  13. bravo3eco

bravo3eco Full Access Member

Gen 1. The 6.2 is a proven platform that has been less troublesome than the 3.5 ecoboost. If you look at it, the 3.5 ecoboost still has the same issues it did back in 2011. To complicate it, add the oil pan failure, wastegate actuator rattles, and 10spd trans failures. Going out off-road, hands down a gen 1 purely for reliability.

14. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

So let me get this straight Bravo guy. This is the second thread that I've seen where you've bashed the trucks that this forum is centered around. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

15. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

Jealousy G!

Adam likes this.