OEM Beadlocks

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by kje, Jan 6, 2018.

1. kje

kje Member

OEM Bead locks

Question – Can you remove the beauty rings on the OEM capable bead lock rims and simply place the OEM bead lock rings in its place i.e. with tire still between rim lips – or is the bead lock ring substantially thicker than the beauty ring and would then leave a gap between the ring and the tire wall.
    The Raptor I am waiting for has these rims and I prefer the look of " real " beadlock and DOT legal

2. Jeff D

Jeff D Full Access Member

Didn’t keep my OEM wheels on either Gen1 or Gen 2 long enough to investigate that question. Are you questioning if the OEM is DOT legal?

3. kje

kje Member

Don’t think it’s a question of legal per se, but compliant. Only a few manufacturers are DOT compliant i.e. suitable for road use inc Hutchinson and recently B.A.D.
    Ford OEM bead locks are off road only

Currently I run method bead locks on my Gen 1 on road and whilst not being compliant are actually safer in every way than a non-bead block rim.

My question was if the OEM beauty ring is replaced by the OEM bead lock ring, will the extra thickness of the latter cause the ring to sit out further and leave a gap between the ring and the tire wall. In the end I will probably go after market with less offset than OEM so that I can run min 37’s

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Full Access Member

TRUCK_SIX_MATTE_BLK_AND_GLOSS_BLK_A1_1000.png

kje likes this.