New Member - 2017 Avalanche Grey

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by SKYHI, Oct 28, 2018.

1. SKYHI

SKYHI Member

Hey gang, wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the forum and fellow members. I recently purchased a used 2017 Avalanche Grey Raptor and am overall pleased with the purchase. I was initially going for a 2018 but the dealer happened to have a this unit in on trade and it's my favorite color for the Raptor so I opted for a used 2017. Since purchasing I have had to replace the check valve due to transmission noise and am now faced with the rattle/noise on startup which I have read is due to cam phasers, tensioners etc. I see some members have had to change out the cam phasers, tensioners, etc. and another resolved the issue with a PCM and TCM update. I'll have my local service center perform the update this week and see how that goes. I have kept the dealer I purchased the vehicle from in the loop and they are willing to get me into a silver 2018 if I prefer but just not sure at this point as silver are very common and isn't my first choice honestly. Are these issues something I should take as red flags and just return the vehicle for the 2018 or let the dealer go through the process of rectifying the matters and keep the 2017? Since purchase I have had the vehicle ceramic coated and purchased a 6yr/125k extended warranty. The dealer has agreed to give me $2k off sticker/msrp to compensate for my loss and see that I am happy with my buying experience. I can also receive a full refund on warranty within 60 days so not worried there. I really like the Avalanche Grey but don't want to kick myself in the backside down the road. Thanks for all of the valuable info and look forward to getting to know everyone.

IMG_0907.PNG

IMG_0908.PNG

2. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

welcome and sorry about the issues your having with your raptor. Can I ask how many miles where on the truck when you bought it?

3. SKYHI

SKYHI Member

Thanks Gdog, truck had 34k miles when purchased October 4th

4. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

Do you know if the previous owner did any mods? Tune etc??

5. SKYHI

SKYHI Member

No clue as it was purchased from a dealership. I drove the hour and a half and upgraded to the 2018 today. Honestly, I’m not as thrilled as I was when I drove the Avalanche grey home, but I know it was the smarter move.

Beau likes this.
  6. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

good call

SKYHI likes this.
  7. Beau

Beau Member

Smart move. As they have failed to determine what is actually causing the problem in the affected trucks you definitely made the smart move. Cheaper to get a wrap than the headache of a truck with issues.

SKYHI likes this.
  8. SKYHI

SKYHI Member

Very true Beau, sad that so many are experiencing these issues. I’m staying optimistic in regards to this 2018, hopefully dodged a bullet on this one. Thanks for the feedback man!