New 2018 or 2014 Supercharged?

Discussion in 'Prospective Owners' started by jtc3400, Dec 3, 2017.

1. jtc3400

jtc3400 Member

Hi,

I found a place that will sell me a Raptor at MSRP with the features and color I want. However, they offered me another option as well. a 2014 Raptor with 30,000 miles on it that they will put a Roush Supercharger stage 2 kit on. 590 hp 590 torque. Price out the door would be 65k for the V8 superchaged used, and 72k for the new one, 802A package, tech package and that's it.

The used Raptor is on auction and has a 4.6/5 in shape/cleanliness etc. 7k cheaper then the new one. It is loaded, with every option possible, pretty much. More power on paper but from what I see its the same speed/quickness as the 2017, and possibly a tad slower, due to the extra weight and older transmission. The superchaged V8 sounds amazing, to be sure. Its sync system is not as good, and the button layout in the 2017 is better aswell. Niether get good gas mileage but a superchaged 6.2 V8 hauling a 6,000 lb truck is like 1970's Cadillac bad on mileage.

72K is a lot of money for me... I can afford it (without eating ramen noodles) but it does hurt... 7k extra in the bank would be nice.... but so are the new features and being a first owner, etc.

What do you guys think, which would you pick, and why?

2. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Well, i'm sure this well get many opinions posted and valid to each person.

For me, why would i want something used and the dealer is begging me to take it off their hands but dropping the price over a new one. That sends me a red flag.
    What are you getting for less money, a used truck that emotionally feels cool and sounds maybe better to you. What do you get for your money buying the new one? A new truck that most likely is going to out perform the used one in every way. The used one on paper has a claimed higher output over the new one. That's great and that on paper. Now how do the two perform? My bet is on the new one performing in most case better then the new one. If the #'s are your driving factor then think about this. Buying the new one gives you the truck you wanted and offers you your own clean sheet to make it how you want it. There's a ton of untapped power in the V6TT motor that's just starting to be tapped into. It doesn't take a whole lot of $ to put the new one in the same #'s that the used one is claiming. Also think about this, run the performance #'s up too high on either and without then starting to over haul other components down the line and in the suspension, your setting your self up for premature failure later.

So, ask yourself this..... What is it i'm wanting to buy? A new Sorts truck or someone else's project that you think is cool? Either way, it's your money, do want you want with it!

3. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

I'm with Rapere, go with the new one. Full warranty, new technology, etc. Now if it was a used 17 with say 10k miles on it for 7k less $$, I would go that route. Not a 3 year old vehicle that someone else has tuned and beat for 30k miles. No matter how good it looks you need to assume they were rodding the piss out of it.

Jma21583 likes this.
  4. shelteredraptor

shelteredraptor Full Access Member

It would have too be one hell of a smokin deal, otherwise you'd be crazy NOT to go new. That isn't nearly smokin' so yes, you be a crazy person to buy a used up used truck over a nice smelling new one.

5. jtc3400

jtc3400 Member

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward new, even just for simple little things like the heated/cooled seats are actual physical buttons.

6. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

For those of us who owned a gen 1 this is a no brained. Gen 1 was a awesome truck but the new gen 2's are way better in so many ways!!! Go with the new one

7. Rudy

Rudy Member

Go with the new Raptor. It will be yours and only yours.

8. Daniel Fife

Daniel Fife Active Member

I have had both of these trucks, you will enjoy the new one more. I think it has more power or rather feels like it does to me.

9. bravo3eco

bravo3eco Full Access Member

Go with the gen 1 Roush. However, their pricing on it should be around $54k. Something isn’t right with price they provided.

10. Gunnar Texas

Gunnar Texas Member

With the new one you get to go to Raptor Assault Training in UTAH which is an Awesome experience!!!!

11. Dwiyrick

Dwiyrick Active Member

You would be crazy to get the old one - especially for that price. Just because the dealer will install the supercharger doesn't make it a Roush #'d vehicle. The Roush is a riot and I had one - simple truth is a cheap tune on the 2018 will make the new one beat the 2014 in all categories except sound. The new vehicle has many improvements in tech and strength, notably the shock mounts that were a problem. As far as the hard buttons for heated/cooled seats comment - FORscan is free and you can easily add soft buttons to the touch screen. I did this and decided I liked the clean look of the screen without the soft seat buttons, so I changed it back.

12. Jeff D

Jeff D Full Access Member

I am uniquely blessed to answer your question. as I own both. Pictured below are my SVT boys. 2014 Gen 1, 2017 Gen 2. The Gen 2 is hands down the king of the hill. The only thing it doesn't have is the V-8 sound. BUY THE 2018!!

13. Jeff D

IMG_0732.JPG

14. Jeff D

IMG_0669.JPG