N-FAB M-RDB front bumper and adaptiove cruise control

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Jean Woloszko, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Jean Woloszko

Jean Woloszko New Member

After damaging my stock front bumper dring an off-road event, I decided to install the N-FAB M-RDB front bumper. I saw it on another 2017 Raptor and thought it looked great. I was able to install a 40" light bar inside the bumper, and it just looked great.
    I ordered the bumper directly from N-FAB and they charged me $250 for shipping, while you can get free shipping from other reseller, so if you want one, save a few bucks and order it from a reseller.
    However, I have been struggling for several; weeks with the adaptive cruise control (ACC), and this is the main topic for this note. N-FAB ships a very nice relocating bracket for the ASCC sensor, and it elegantly places the sensor behind the "D" of " FORD" in the grille. Furthermore, it is relatively easy to remove the grille with this bracket in place as the wire harness still has some slack (contrarily to the ADD option). However, after installing this bracket, my cruise control was not working properly,; it was not very sensitive, not always "seeing" cars in front of me, and providing random "Sensor Blocked" errors. As my stock sensor was slightly damaged during the incident that damaged my stock bumper, I decided to order a new sensor; I was able to get one for "only" $349 from "Village Ford" instead of $540 list price, and then had to pay another $140 to the dealer to calibrate and program it. They spent a few hours on it, and were unable to "align it", claiming that they could not do it as it was too high. I then had 2 non working sensor, and finally decided to order the ADD relocating bracket, and it is working like a charm with mn original sensor. The ADD places the sensor behind the mesh of the grille, proving an almost clear line of sight for the radar, while the N-FAC places it behind the "D", with much thicker plastic that is also covered with a metallic paint.

In conclusion, the N-FAB bumper is awesome, well built, and not only is it much cheaper than the ADD options, but I also think that it looks better. However, if you have the Adaptive Cruise Control, there are very good chances that the N-FAB relocating bracket will not work well for you, and that you will have to pay an extra $210 for the ADD relocating bracket. This is also what you would save if you order th bumper from a reseller rather than to N-FAB directly.

Somebody should make a longer harness for the ACC, so removing the grille would be much simpler.