Musty damp smell

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Plasterman, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Plasterman

Plasterman Full Access Member

anyone else having an issue with a musty smell. Dealer couldn’t find it and I checked everywhere but no wet spots even after rain but smells like grandmas old basement.

Not coming from vents. Smells more in the back behind seats. Dealer tried being smart and spraying some deodorizing shit in my vents but that’s faded away and still there. Faint but definitely there.

2. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

upload_2017-12-20_15-48-19.jpeg

3. Plasterman

Ha. Wish that’s all it was. At least it would go away rolling the windows down. This shit isn’t going anywhere it seems like.

4. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

Any seal issues, I am having some sealant/grease/etc roll onto my windows everytime I roll them done. Dealer states "just normal grease or lube in the lip of the window haha. Still there, I gave up.

5. Plasterman

I have also noticed that on my driver side window as well. WTH is happening. Do you have a damp smell as well? Or is it just the grease stripes on your window?

Adam likes this.
  6. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

No smell as of yet, 7500 miles, just the greasy stripes but mine are on all 4 windows !! lol

7. cstunkard

cstunkard New Member

Interesting that someone else has a musty smell too. That is something I have noticed in mine as well. There are times it is more pronounced than others and I haven't yet been able to figure out why. I changed my cabin air filter but that didn't seem to help any.

OP... what was the production date of yours? Mine was built Nov 2017 then sat in Dearborn for almost 2 months and I was thinking maybe the smell was related to it sitting for so long.

BTW I also have the greasy stripes that appear randomly on the windows from time to time. That is easy to wipe off... the smell is more challenging.

8. golferdude1971

golferdude1971 New Member

it could be the rubber vents in the lower rear wall of the cab. Or it could be rubber plugs or holes in the floor of the cab that are not fully sealed.

9. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

It could be a skunk in the trunk too..lol

10. Plasterman

I’ll check my date but I bought it in oct. its an 18’. I started smelling it all of a sudden after many rains around mid November. Only thing I’ve done is put in some fogs and a grill light bar. I haven’t been through firewall or any plugs. Nothing is wet inside. I did notice the smell outside this morning near the rear driver door.

11. Bruce7105

Bruce7105 Member

Do you have a sun roof if so the drain tubes runs down the the back corners of the cab and there was a guy who had one of the tubes come out of the back wall where they drain and the water was going behind the seats.

12. Storybook

Storybook New Member

Just got my Raptor back after 3 weeks in the shop with similar problems as above. I started noticing a sloshing sound every time I hit the brakes. At first I thought I had bottled water rolling around in the back but as it turned out I had damp carpets in the front passenger foot well. Dealer found the entire floor pan was filled with water due to a missing seal between the the back wall of the cab and the box. Took them a week just to get the part from Memphis. But now everything is good. I must admit however my dealer was fantastic and gave me an F150 loaner for the entire time my truck was down.

I live in the PNW and we've had a ton of moisture this past Fall. A little bit disconcerting as I never had a problem with my 13' Raptor through 76k miles. Come on Ford..."get your act together".

13. xBryanHoodsx

xBryanHoodsx Active Member

Guessing leaky moonroof or the rear vent isn’t sealed properly on back of cab between cab and bed

14. rob0589

rob0589 New Member

same issue for me. Its at the dealer for the 3rd time and they can not find the issue. Its horrid the smell.

15. Plasterman

I’m still looking for the issue. Much less and sperratic now. I can’t find any wet areas either.