Home Link Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Electronics' started by Jerry Braden, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Jerry Braden

Jerry Braden Member

Has anyone else noticed poor range on their Home Link garage door opener? I programmed all three buttons for one garage door, my driveway gate, and the subdivision gate. They all work fine, but you have to be very close for them to operate. My Explorer Sport works from a great distance and my wife's car even farther away.
    Explained the situation to Home Link and they didn't have a solution other than to replace the entire unit. The dealer said they would order a replacement if I wasn't happy with it. Not sure it's worth the effort of taking it in for replacement and then having to reprogram it. (The driveway gate is a real pain to access the learn button.)
    It works with reduced range so just going to live with it for now, but wondered if anyone has noticed the same problem on Raptors or other Ford products.

2. VT Raptor

VT Raptor Full Access Member

YUP - me too.. Ive got a 2013 Ford Edge Sport - i can hit the button a couple hundred feet away and by time i get to house pull right into my garage - unfortunately not the case with the Raptor. Need to be - id say maybe - 50 feet for it to work. Not a big deal for me but did notice a difference.. So not a ford problem id say its a Raptor issue ? maybe the aluminum cab ?

3. Jerry Braden

Jerry Braden Member

I have to be closer than that. It also seems to be a directional issue, i.e., the Raptor must be facing directly towards the opener/receiver. I have a wrap garage and cannot operate the door until I make the turn facing the door.

4. TXRAPTR

TXRAPTR Full Access Member

Personally I think its the height of the Raptor bc my wife drives a non-ford with home-link and hers works a lot better than mine but has much less ground clearance than mine. Same with other factory trucks I've previously owned, before bigger tires/leveling/lift kits always seem to work a little better. So I don't know, the height is just an idea that comes to my mind.

5. Brady

Brady Member

I noticed this issue as well this morning, but when I put down the visor some it worked.

6. Jerry Braden

Jerry Braden Member

My wife had a Cadillac SRX crossover and the range on it was unbelievably good.

Last month I spent a lot of time talking to HomeLink about the problem. For a while, I felt I was talking to DirecTV where they have a stock answer for everything based on the phrases you use. (DTV quoting blackout rules when they do not apply.) HL kept telling me to reprogram it, even after I said it's not the programming because the devices all work, just not at the normal range. Then, they started questioning my operators/opener. I said "So you think all three devices are bad even though my other vehicle equipped with HomeLink operates them at normal distance?" Finally, I got through to them and they said talk to the dealer, who readily agreed to replace it. But, these other comments make me want to just live with the minor inconvenience of being five feet from the garage to open the door.

7. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

mine works great from about 100' no problems, love it.. I did notice once I pass the guest house on the estate that it tends to not work as well. But once inside the main house gate in works fabulous!! lol No seriously it works good..

wparish81 likes this.
  8. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

Mine works good, probably as good as my wife's Explorer, Platinum since some are name droppers, lol. I'd say more than 100'. But to be honest, I would have been happy with it just working. My 13 FX4 would never work.

And if your dealer is willing to replace it that's awesome. My wife's drivers side mirror was blurry with lights shining on it and the dealer wouldn't do anything saying they didn't see a problem. I finally had to schedule an appt with the service manager after hours so he could see it in the dark before they would do anything. Even after that they told me Ford tried not replacing it because they didn't believe the issue. And I've had a great working relationship with this dealer for the last 4 years. Bought 5 damn cars with them so I better.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  9. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Interesting, mine works really well. At least 100 yards from the complex gate and more than that for my garage.

10. OBXRAPTOR

OBXRAPTOR Member

Mine works at least 100 yards away on 3 different garage doors

11. MrMaGnEtIc

MrMaGnEtIc Full Access Member

I think relaying the brand/model of your garage door opener would benefit the guys/gals having range issues. Would be a starting point that we could see if a pattern is trending. Possible that it has nothing to do with the Raptor but the components of the garage door opener unit itself. Just a thought

12. Jerry Braden

Jerry Braden Member

Since my Raptor Homelink has limited range on my garage door, my subdivision gate, and my driveway gate, and my Explorer opens all of these at normal range, the common ground is the Home Link in my Raptor. The dealer agreed to replace it.

13. bMw defector

bMw defector Member

Mine will not work at all. I have a genie garage door opener and it registers in the car with the flashing lights but will not trigger the door. I have a Mule gate opener that will not even program/register from the remote.