GPS Module for Middle East!

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Electronics' started by Zaid Dahabi, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Zaid Dahabi

Zaid Dahabi Full Access Member

Called the local Ford dealer today, said I needed to change the whole GPS Module alongside its Harness and it would cost me around 4K! But the guy told me that there is an aftermarket module that cost peanuts that can be wired to the rig and lets the GPS module accept middle east satellites in order for the GPS to fully work on my rig! Anyone help me with this? Appreciated!

2. VT Raptor

VT Raptor Full Access Member

Why not use android auto or car play and use Google Maps ? Is there cell service where you mostly plan to go ? And if not - i know half my state has very little or no service - then just make sure when your home on wifi update your state and local maps on your phone. Vehicle GPS is very quickly becoming a waste of time and money. Everybody has a phone, everybody gets a new / better phone every year or 2. Id use that ..

I have a 2013 Ford Edge Sport - they send me Reminders every year from Ford to buy a new GPS MAPS sd card for 149.00 - what a joke.

I know its nice to have all the features in the truck working properly but sounds like this money better spent on other toys.

I also have a 2 year old GARMIN - really nice 5 inch screen. I forget the model number but for 200 or 250 bucks put that in the glove box and pull it out when you really need Satellite Nav or your phone is not working. Most Garmin are lifetime updates for maps / traffic and honestly this does a better job than any in car system ive ever used - its is after all what they do.

anyway Good luck...

3. Zaid Dahabi

Zaid Dahabi Full Access Member

Thank VT!

From what I understood from this Ford guy who has a service shop, that if I contact Ford, they can send me a small chip by mail and I can install it on it and it would work! been trying to find an email to contact them but no luck! I already have all the hardware, why not make it functional, instead of plugging in my phone and charging the battery aimlessly!