burning 2 quarts of oil in less than 4k miles

Discussion in 'Raptor Maintenance' started by Kellysraptor, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Kellysraptor

Kellysraptor New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm writing this with a sick feeling that something is wrong with my new Raptor.
    I've got roughly 4k on my 2018 Leadfoot and it started making a noise on start up. Sounded like a diesel truck start up. I made appointment with dealer and the very next day the truck wouldn't start. Took 3 attempts. A few hours after that I notice the check engine light came on. Ford Pass said that I had a MISFIRE and needed service. Took to dealer and truck was 2 quarts low on oil. I had just checked the oil and it was fine two weeks ago. Dealer says it was also throwing a code related to the Cams.
    The service manager was very nice and he said some Ecoboosts just burn oil. They don't know why it happens in some and not in others. Ford says that it can burn up to 1 quart every 500 miles under extreme heavy use. My truck has never had either of those. My truck is stock and never seen a dirt road. The most it's hauled is a few sheets of plywood. I really haven't even put the truck through its paces yet. Never been in BAJA or Rock Crawl modes. Giving it a nice slow break in. Is this really considered normal oil consumption? Anyone else have this issue? Should I be worried?

2. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

Search the threads There are others on here with major oil loss and some other problems. Best of luck.

3. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Sorry to hear!
    Yes, referring to Vikes reply... look around here on some other posts about some random issues.

I would say no this isn't normal.

I've triggered both the Cam sensor and the misfire code. Both were my own fault and quickly resolved. Burning oil at that rate would tell me there's a problem. If the misfire is tied to it then i would bet you have a bad head gasket and your getting oil in one or more cylinders. Sucks yes but fixable and rarely but this does happen.

No i wouldn't except from the dealer that this is normal or acceptable. I'f be taking my truck to a different dealer and then next would be calling Ford Performance for guidance to get resolutions if the dealers are providing the needed support.

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Full Access Member

Rapere 1 is spot on. Isn’t normal or acceptable. I too have had the 2 code previously mentioned. Both cleared, no return of these codes. His suggestion to contact the SVT group is a must do regardless of the dealership input. I’ve been involved with Raptors
    since the 2009/2010 model. This is my third truck. The performance group has always been great!! Keep us posted...

5. Kellysraptor

Kellysraptor New Member

Update: finally there is a service bulletin on burning oil.
    Going in to be worked on next week.
    Any others had a loss of power and stalling during the first 10 minutes of driving? Not a turbo lag issue. When this occurs the RPM’s are always under 2k and I’m just rolling out not attempting a quick acceleration.
    Sounds as if it’s going to die but then sputters and begins to slowly resume normal driving.

Could replacing the valve covers be the fix for all this?