Break in Guidance

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by Greg, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Greg

Greg Full Access Member

All,

Don't have manual in hand but ordered with a dealer 400+ miles away. Did the manual or your dealers provide guidance on break in for first 500-1000 miles?

My duramax had no guidance provided however on purchase of prior BMWs they gave RPM limits for first 1,000 miles.

It goes without saying not to go out and flog it out of the box, but I was just curious as I'll be on a mix of county roads and interstate coming home and was worried if I am at constant RPMs for too much of the first mileage. Could always set the cruise and alternate in 5 mph increments I guess.

Thanks in advance fellas!

2. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

So let me get this straight you took delivery of your new raptor and didn't get a owners manual? Really? Wtf is that

3. DarthKinetic

DarthKinetic Active Member

No. He is saying he has to go pick up the truck and wants to know how best to drive the 400 miles home.

4. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

Look at the owners manual? Ask the dealer? Talk to the service manager? Look these trucks are new to all of us it's best to consult the experts on issues like this. IMO

5. redtail17

redtail17 Full Access Member

While waiting for my order to be picked up, I've been reading an f150 owner's manual. I typed in 2017-f150-pdf under Google search, then chose the site that I could download the manual. On page 288, they suggest you drive at different speeds for the first 1,000 miles and NO towing. No specific vehicle speeds are given, but keep shifting smooth and don't be aggressive. Also, unusual tire sensations may be felt the first 300 miles. I would have shown you the actual page, but I don't know how - sorry.

Vikes91 likes this.
  6. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

Thanks red tail ,, ya see research

7. redtail17

GDog, did you get your truck yet. So many guys getting there's I haven't kept up. I agree with you about not using the safe to hold the handgun. In my past vehicles I've used a rubber coated magnet to hold my S&W 45 just under the dash. I don't know if the Raptor will have any metal surface within reach that is somewhat hidden.

8. sapper_out

sapper_out Full Access Member

I use the pocket behind the passenger seat , it's an easy reach and out of sight

Only time it's not with me is in non CHL areas posting a sign, that would be the only time I leave weapon in truck , hence needing that safe

DarthKinetic likes this.
  9. redtail17

I agree with that point - being an old fart I don't visit many places with restrictions.

10. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

Hey redtail, yep signed the paperwork on my truck yesterday pick it up Thursday from fab shop

INTEL DRIVEN likes this.
  11. redtail17

Really happy for you!!!! Did you get a factory tonneau cover? If so, let me know what type came on the SCAB.

12. Greg

Greg Full Access Member

Just trying to leverage everyone else's knowledge here. We all know service advisors aren't all created equal and make sure guidance is consistent across the board. Delivery isn't specified yet but likely late q2

13. Gdog

Gdog Full Access Member

No factory cover. I have a bak flip cover in my garage I'll be putting on. Had one on my gen 1 and loved it. Thanks I'll post after pics once I get all the goodies on

14. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

My MX4 went on Friday. Looks great.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  15. Caleb

Caleb Member

break in isn't such a big deal in 2017 in the late 70's yeah but with todays tech and engine specs you shouldn't have to worry. don't beat the sh-t out of it but you will be fine with normal driving! I wouldn't use the manual mode and tach it out constantly out of the box until you hit the 1000 mile mark. have a little fun! you will be fine!