Borla S type -or- Ford Performance Sport (Borla) exhaust?

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by NJTim, Nov 19, 2017.

1. NJTim

NJTim Active Member

All - I think I've narrowed exhaust choices to the Borla S-type cat-back system (3'') -or- Ford Performance Sport (also Borla, 2 3/4").

Basically, I want a high-quality exhaust with more aggressive sound (without going overboard and pissing off the neighbors), plus any modest performance gains. My gut says the Ford Performance exhaust is probably optimized since they teamed up with Borla on it. Also considered adding the Borla S mid-section only, and leaving stock tailpipes. Curios why Ford Performance went went with 2 3/4" vs. 3" and what impact that has overall (performance, sound, etc.)

Has anyone has done the homework/comparison here? Would love to get your opinions.

Thanks in advance. NJTim

loboloco likes this.
  2. Daniel Fife

Daniel Fife Active Member

I installed Borla S on my truck last week sounds great and its not going to piss off the neighbors

3. Daniel Fife

Daniel Fife Active Member

Oh yea couldnt get the carbon fiber tips until next year so I went with black

4. NJTim

NJTim Active Member

Thanks Daniel. You did the complete cat-back or midsection only? Leaning towards the Borla S as well.

5. Plasterman

Plasterman Full Access Member

I’m on the same boat. I was leaning more towards the Ford performance sport. I heard the turbos are a lot more pronounced which is nice to hear as well. Plus I think ford gives you a hard time on warranty if it is borla vs. FP which technically same thing but that’s not how they see it.

Damn. I’m back to square one. Lol. I’d do full catback though.
    Has anyone heard both in action?

6. NJTim

NJTim Active Member

Ive been listening to the videos, never heard live though. Wondering why Ford Perf. went with 2 3/4" pipes vs. 3" Borla used. I know it's only a 1/4" difference but...

7. shelteredraptor

shelteredraptor Full Access Member

I have a Borla S brand new in the box for sale. Prefer to keep it on the east coast so shipping isn't too bad. Make me an offer.

8. bravo3eco

bravo3eco Full Access Member

Since you are worried about sound, why not try the Flowmaster cat back? They are on sale now, plus they are a few hundred $$ cheaper!

9. Plasterman

Why are you getting rid of the borla? Just curious.

10. shelteredraptor

shelteredraptor Full Access Member

I decided that the tune was fine and I haven't any interest in changing the tone. In other words I'm not doing anything else to the truck.

11. NJTim

NJTim Active Member

Hey All - I reached out directly to Borla re: difference between Borla S-type and Ford Performance Sport, and they responded quickly (thanks Borla). Based on this info, I'm going with Borla mid-section only (S or ATAK TBD). Below is what they told me:

"WE do make the Ford Racing systems for the Raptor and I would be glad to go over the differences between your options.

First, the Borla system is sold as two parts. The front x-pipe and muffler assembly are sold as one set and the tailpipes with our tips and new heat shielding are sold as a second set. The majority of our system is 2.75” but the pipes coming out of the muffler are 3” just so you can connect this to the stock 3” pipes or our tailpipes. The Ford Racing option is only available as a full Cat-Back and we decided to leave this as a full 2.75” system. It would be difficult to measure any difference in the performance and we have tuned the mufflers to take the respective sizes into account.

With regards to sound, the Ford racing system is noticeably quieter both at idle and under acceleration. If you can describe the type of sound you are looking for I should be able to point you in the right directly. I would also recommend taking a second look at the ATAK system, it is not much louder the our S-type system but it will provide a more aggressive tone that is higher pitch compared to the S-type which is a very low bass tone. All systems are guaranteed to be drone free.

If you choose to go with the Borla branded system you will see the vast majority of the sound improvement from the mid muffler section with only a small change from the tailpipes. The primary reason to purchase the tailpipes is for the heat shielding and the tips".

12. Plasterman

Which tune did you go with or is it a custom shop tune?

13. Toadster

Toadster Full Access Member

resonance... that 1/4" makes a difference...

NJTim likes this.
  14. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

Because I haven't heard one on a raptor yet.

15. Squatch

Squatch Member

Hey Fellas
    I installed the Borla ATAK midsection and Borla tailpipes. While I was at it, I also installed the SPD Performance exhaust turbo adapters and AFE Magnum Force stage 2 air. In combination, the results are absolutely stellar. Quite honestly, it is like driving a different vehicle. The normal driving mode is incredible and Sport mode is incendiary! I’ve been running the new setup for a few weeks and am extremely pleased.

Toadster, NJTim and Plasterman like this.