Boost

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by Max Hewlett, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Max Hewlett

Max Hewlett Member

I have a 17 pushing 7 psi over stock. I was wondering if i should throw a aftermarket bov on to deal with all the extra boost. Is this a bad idea? ive done a lot of reading and have found a good amount of mixed reviews. Can the stock ebov handle all that extra boost? And is there any benefit of an aftermarket bov?

2. Jma21583

Jma21583 Full Access Member

Great question man. I've read that the stock bov holds up to around 20psi. But I only found it one place and nobody could confirm that. Hopefully someone here can chime in. But assuming you're going to exceed what the stock ebov can handle, then yes an aftermarket bov would be beneficial, seeing as you won't encounter premature boost leak. The benefit it a bov with stiffer and sometimes adjustable spring and the sound.

3. Brapptor

Brapptor Full Access Member

Careful with bovs. It’s known to throw codes and requires a tune based on an easy forum search. The stock bov is on a circuit that runs the blown off air past a sensor for a reason. I have no idea why but im hesitant to mess with it. I’m sure you are fine, just dig into the issues that might arise before hand

4. Full-Race

Full-Race Member

the oem Ebov can start leaking around 21-23psi. it also has a rubber diaphragm that can eventually tear over time. Therefore, we recommend aftermarket if you will be above 21psi+

if installing an aftermarket Bov, you will want to keep the oem Ebov plugged in so there is no code.

Peter Michael and GZILA like this.
  5. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

20 or more psi get an after market especially if you running a high CAI or any other mods. Throttle body spacer may help with the codes per a installer I trust down by me.

6. Max Hewlett

Max Hewlett Member

any recommendations on which one to get?

7. Full-Race

Full-Race Member

Max, this depends on your intercooler and piping setup. I suggest speaking with [email protected]

8. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

Hit up someone and get their recs. Turbo smart BOV is very popular and holds boost up to 30 psi

9. xBryanHoodsx

xBryanHoodsx Active Member

You guys realize that these turbos have been proven to produce no more power turned all the way up then if running at 20-21 psi ... they are too small to produce more power when spun up your just putting unnecessary wear and tear ... if want more boost need to go bigger turbos ... let me guess your running a 5 Star tune too

Jma21583 likes this.
  10. Adam

Adam Full Access Member

I run no tunes, I like the sound and try not to push any extra nor do I have a CAI but may add one, but I get your idea on pushing the turbos. There are other people who I know well who does these exact thing. Maybe why there cams and turbos have failed.

11. Full-Race

Full-Race Member

If the tune is safe, with no knock and conservative ignition/fueling values there is nothing wrong with 22-23psi boost. Especially on a 2018, fyi 2018 Raptor turbos are larger than 2017.

12. Max Hewlett

Max Hewlett Member

I had mine tuned at KC Maxx Performance in kansas city. No plug and play kinda thing