Anybody else experiencing transmission issues

Discussion in 'Engine Performance and Mods' started by Shark, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Shark

Shark Active Member

My 2017 sometimes seems like it doesn't want to go into gear and/or performs some hard shifts after pressing the accelerator a lot harder than should be required to get the truck to start moving. It happens just occasionally, but the first time I noticed it was probably less than a week after I picked it up and it happened again as recently as this week. I have about 3K on my truck. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I guess I will need to contact the dealer and bring it in, but since it's an occasional issue, I don't know if they can find the problem.

2. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Sorry to hear, i'm >10k mi on mine and haven't had an issue like this. Always finds the gear smoothly, sometimes gear an Turbo lag catch it off guard but it's rare and since adding the JMS Boostmax a week ago it's helped further.

Sounds like your baby has some teething issues........

3. gunnersguru

gunnersguru Full Access Member

mine hard shifts after the trans temp gets up over 220 . I have seen 233 . I took the truck in and had the trans filter and fluid changed at 1000 miles , before that to problems .

4. Redtime21

Redtime21 Member

I see it to on the lower gears at lower speed, there is for sure a lag, the shift and then the over-serge slow back down. I haven't paid attention to what gear specifically is as it happens intermittently.

5. loboloco

loboloco Member Military

I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this. At least now I know I wasn't just imagining things. Someone just posted on this forum that Ford has released an engine and transmission update, which your dealership should be able to install. I will take my truck by the dealership this afternoon to get it done (hopefully).

Sergeant Major and Charley Force like this.
  6. Nexmeister

Nexmeister Full Access Member

there was an initial issue fixed with a software update. like a kick in the ass shift.

7. loboloco

loboloco Member Military

I went by the dealership today and they ran a diagnostic, as well as looked for any available software updates. Nothing showed up. They reset the transmission module for me. According to the tech, theses transmissions have a "learning period" during which they adapt to the driving style. During that time there might me an occasional erratic shifting behavior. I guess I will find out.

As far as available software updates are concerned, it will depend on the date of build of the truck. Mine was build in the first week of May and should have all the latest software installs for now. Also, I only have about 2000 miles on my vehicle, so it is barely broken in. If your truck was build in a previous quarter there might have been an update for that particular quarter and earlier builds.

8. Jeff D

Jeff D Full Access Member

I notice hard shifting (stumble gear if you will). between 3/4 and 4/5. It is very inconsistent. I now have 33k on the truck. Guess I wondering how long the learning curve is. The second is the snow/rain gear. Once selected operates as prescribed. However , if you turn the truck off and then back on the display says normal but the indicator light shows 4A. If you select it back into Snow/Rain then back to normal the 4A will return to the 2 wheel indicator. Anyone else experiencing this?

9. loboloco

loboloco Member Military

I live in ND out in the country, so in the winter I turn on the Snow/Rain terrain mode as soon as I get off the highway, which engages the 4A drive. As with your truck, mine also remains in 4A after turning off the ignition. Upon restart the drive train stays in 4A, but the steering and shifting returns to Normal mode. That is the same mode the truck would be in, if you simply turned the 2/4A/4H/4L dial (rather than using the terrain mode toggle) to 4A while driving. After restarting the engine simply turn the dial to 2 wheel drive. No need to toggle into Snow/Rain terrain mode and than to Normal. Beware, the 4x4 dial will not shift from 4A to 2 if you toggled to Snow/Rain terrain mode and decide to return to 2 wheel drive prior to turning off and restarting your engine.

Not sure how to explain this correctly. The terrain modes, as you likely know, adjust the throttle response, shift pattern, RPMs, as well as the transfer case, i.e. 2x4 to 4A or 4x4. The dial, on the other hand, only acts on the transfer case, i.e. 2x4 to 4A or 4x4 without changing the gear or engine behavior. Hence, trying to dial to 2 wheel drive while the terrain mode is in Snow/Rain does not work because that terrain mode does not offer 2 wheel drive. I imagine it would be the same when trying to dial to 2 wheel drive after placing the truck in Baja or any other 4x4 terrain mode. It should not work. However, you can run Sport mode and 4A together. I do not remember if you have to be in Sport or 4A first in order to run them simultaneously.

10. Jeff D

wondering if that's a characteristic of a properly functioning transmission or perhaps an indicator of a malfunctioning trans? Have you run it by Ford?

11. Jeff D

This 10 speed transmission was suppose to be the bomb. Not sure if that's the case.

12. Brady55

Brady55 New Member

I’m sorry to say but, you’re wasting that truck if you haven’t figured out that Baja mode most certainly does let you override back into 2h, no disrespect lol. But I honestly believe that’s how this truck is meant to rock, Baja in 4 is brilliant and out of this world responsive but almost dangerously easy, you get too confident or too comfortable. I run very high speed old mountain logging roads mostly here and that’s the only mode to be in. Baja sport stearing, 2h 4when it’s super sharp shale or want to give her a break, I run spd adaptors, afe scorcher, Borla atak, turbo smart, pedal commander and 37” grabbers wrapped on methods thanks to my svc cas system... kicks the shit out of my 14’ roush raptor

I have a bunch of little character flaws when I try and daily it or just drive sensibly. The harder I push it the better she responds. My truck hates normal mode. Spiders and backfires gross delayed shifting though I spend most my time on the paddles until I’m running hard in Baja, on paddles no issues whatsoever.

Cheers!

loboloco likes this.
  13. loboloco

loboloco Member Military

I think that that is normal. Just like with any other 4x4 vehicle turning off the ignition should not cause your transfer case to automatically shift back to 2 wheel drive. The only thing that does get deactivated by the ignition switch is the particular terrain mode that influences gear shift and throttle pattern, which also makes perfect sense to me. I am not concerned about that aspect of the truck.

14. loboloco

loboloco Member Military

Lol. You might want to re-read my comment, because that is more or less what I stated when I tried to explain. I clearly said that you cannot shift from any 4x4 terrain mode back into 2 wheel drive via the dial: "trying to dial to 2 wheel drive while the terrain mode is in Snow/Rain does not work because that terrain mode does not offer 2 wheel drive. I imagine it would be the same when trying to dial to 2 wheel drive after placing the truck in Baja or any other 4x4 terrain mode. It should not work".

But I am glad you got your chance to tell everyone about your truck and driving style. I am sure you feel better now.

15. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

I do believe, as was stated, you can be in baja mode and switch it to 2 wheel drive. My pref for snow in town is sport mode, 2 wheel drive, snd hold to kill all traction control. If its deep I do the same except put it in 4X.