Annoying rattle.

Discussion in 'Interior' started by MtopRaptor, Oct 22, 2017.

1. MtopRaptor

MtopRaptor Full Access Member

hey all.

I've developed any annoying rattle but I can nail down where it's from. While driving and hits small bumps I get a knock or rattle like something is hitting plastic trim. It is behind the front row of seats but I can tell if it's the sunroof, back doors, back seatbelt area?

Items I've ruled out:
    1. The jack, I tighten that down and added extra foam supports
    2. Sliding window, there is a significant amount of free movement in the up/down direction. I jammed some cardboard in there temporarily...
    3. Seat latch, had my kids sit in the back and it still happens.

Anyone know of any other areas to try out?

Thanks
    mtop

2. Vikes91

Vikes91 Well-Known Member Military

My wife's explorer has the moonroof and the sunshade does that. Have someone hold the shade and see if it stops.

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Active Member

I have to wedge my rear passenger seat belt between the seat back and trim or it rattles.

4. MtopRaptor

Thanks,going to try both

5. Brent Bogart

Brent Bogart Member

The 2016 Platinum that I traded for the 2017 Raptor had that same issue. It took me months to locate it. Finally figured out that it was the sliding rear window. Ford replaced the entire rear window assembly and the rattle was gone....

6. Rapere1

Rapere1 Full Access Member

Stop throwing beer bottle caps in the passenger door pockets while driving and the rattle will stop!!!!!!!

PupDawg likes this.
  7. Vikes91

Mtop, any luck?

8. MtopRaptor

Not really, there was some free play in the plastic ring that supports the back straps so I removed them and put a washer behind them. Didn’t help, only made the belt hard to move.

I’m going to try and tape the window this time. I think the cardboard wedge was too loose.

9. MtopRaptor

So it was my sunroof, I tilted it today while driving and it went away. I closed it and it stayed away. Wonder if it loses closed pressure over time?

10. Vikes91

Weird, but glad you found it.

11. Zaid Dahabi

Zaid Dahabi Full Access Member

FINAFUCKINGLY

12. MtopRaptor

Happened again, wtf. Had to open and close. Gotta call the dealer.

13. RAM

RAM Active Member

I rented a 2017 Expedition recently that had the same problem with the sunroof. I only had it for a few days and it drove me insane! Quality control strikes again.
    After owning new cars ranging from a 2015 BMW M3 to a recent 2017 Sierra Denali, I think all cars no matter how well made they are, rattle at some point. It's just luck (or bad luck as it were) and time I guess. Bring it to the dealership and make it their problem. If you can locate the general area it's coming from, it's the dealerships problem to fix. Don't take "we couldn't duplicate it" for an answer. I'm a car dealers worst nightmare. If it rattles, it stays at the dealer until its gone. And I won't drop the truck off until they have a loaner I can drive.
    Hope you can get it fixed. I feel for ya man.

MtopRaptor likes this.
  14. Jaws285

Jaws285 Member

Same issue here. I used a silicone grease on the moon roof seals and that fixed it.
    Hope it helps you too.

15. RAM

RAM Active Member

fullsizeoutput_84e.jpeg sooo I have 645 miles on the Raptor. So far, love it like no other vehicle I've ever owned. Plugged in Pedal Commander yesterday and it's like a new truck all over again! Got the rear wheel wells sprayed by LineX, added a stubby antenna, and wrapped the front hood/mirrors/fender flares with Xpel
    Just wish some of the $70K i spent went toward doors that didn't rattle at even low stereo volume, and the ability to control some features like auto fold mirrors, shutting off fake engine noise, etc. Tried FORSCAN yesterday but I can't get the changes to take so more to follow on that one. fullsizeoutput_84e.jpeg

Zaid Dahabi likes this.